Unwell? Not sure where to go for help?


If you have symptoms of Covid-19, they worsen during self-isolation at home and you need advice, visit the NHS 111 website. If you cannot get on-line, call NHS 111. Please do not visit a GP surgery or hospital.

If you or someone at home has symptoms of Covid-19, find out how to book a test here.

For everything else

  • Minor ailment? Ask your local Pharmacist – they are experts on self-care, medicines and can advise on whether you need another NHS service
  • If you have an illness that won’t go away, click or call your GP surgery. You can contact your GP surgery through their website, the NHS App or by phone. If you don’t have a GP, you can find how to access one here
  • If you think you may need A&E or to get the right service 24/7, click 111.nhs.uk or call 111. Increasingly, the 111 phone service is able to book appointments for you into local services e.g. GP surgeries and hospitals
  • You can also download the NHS App…
  • and the local ASAP website and App (download from Apple or Google Play stores) offer information on self-care, local services and when to use them.

Find out more about our Click or Call First campaign here. Watch the short film here.

Other local services

Gloucester GP Health Access Centre

The Gloucester Health Access Centre in Quayside House, Quayside, Gloucester (GL1 2TZ) is open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and provides a wide range of GP care.

Patients are seen on an appointment basis, so please ring in advance on 01452 336290 to get a time that’s convenient for you.

Minor Injury and Illness Units

Minor Injury and Illness Units (MIIUs) at local community hospitals treat a variety of injuries and illnesses (adults and children). Appointments are available by phoning 111, alternatively you can walk in.

If your injury is not serious you can get help from a MIIU rather than an emergency department.

By doing so, emergency department staff can concentrate on people with serious and life-threatening conditions. Waiting times at the MIIUs are also generally shorter.

Please note that there have been some recent changes to community hospital MIIU services as a result of Covid-19. The latest information, including opening hours and the range of services provided, is available here.

Minor Injury Units

There are also Minor Injury Units at Tetbury Hospital (open 8.30am to 4pm – Mon to Fri) and at Winchcombe Medical Centre (open 8.15am to 6.30pm – Mon – Fri).

Emergency care

If you have a life threatening emergency you should call 999.

A&E (Emergency Department) services in the county also provide care for people with serious injuries and life threatening conditions.

Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, Gloucester (GRH) continues to provide a 24 hour consultant-led A&E service.

The Children’s Centre and specialist staff who provide emergency care for children are based at GRH. If your child needs emergency care, call 999.

From 9 June 2021, there will be a consultant-led A&E service at Cheltenham General Hospital (CGH), 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. The overnight nurse led service – 8pm to 8am, 7 days a week – will be reinstated on 1 July 2021.

The latest information about A&E services at Gloucestershire Royal and Cheltenham General Hospitals is available here.

Help us, help you get the treatment you need

Even with the current Covid-19 pandemic, people will continue to suffer from other illnesses and will need the help of the NHS.

Nationally, the number of people presenting with symptoms of possible heart attack, stroke and suspected cancer has reduced considerably since the Covid-19 pandemic and health leaders are also encouraging people struggling with their mental health to seek support. If you’re worried about your health or have symptoms that need to be checked out urgently – then the message is clear – don’t delay, act today. This will be better for your health in the long run.

NHS services are still here for you:

  • Call your GP surgery or if it’s a serious, life threatening emergency, call 999.
  • If you need support when your GP surgery is closed, use the NHS 111 online service or call 111.

Worried about Cancer? – get it checked out

If you are worried about unexplained changes to your body, such as the sudden appearance of a lump, blood in your urine or a change to your usual bowel habits, you must contact your GP surgery, either online, by app or by phone.

Chest pain and signs of Stroke

If you, or a loved one is suffering severe chest pain or showing signs of stroke, Remember Act FAST

  • Face weakness,
  • Arm weakness,
  • Speech difficulty; it’s
  • Time to call 999.

When it’s not an emergency, but you don’t feel quite right and you or your family have concerns, then please call your GP. Your GP will assess you on the phone and may want to bring you down to the surgery for an examination or tests or may want to speak with a hospital specialist on the phone.

If you are given a hospital appointment, it is really important that you keep it – whether that’s by phone, video or in person.